Recommended Reading List
Books by Topic
- Animal & environmental
- Bedtime stories
- Books you can move to
- Feelings & moods
- Math: Addition & subtraction
- Math: Algebra
- Math: Counting
- Math: Estimating & fractions
- Math: Geometry
- Math: Measurement
- Math: Money
- Math: Multiplication & division
- Math: Number Sense
- Math: Probability & data analysis
- Math: Time
- Tales with a twist
Doing a craft or activity with a child as you share stories together can bring books to life. Try these reading related projects to make you and your child’s reading aloud experience even more enjoyable. Each activity is inspired by one or more children’s books and recommended by a school or public librarian.
Feed Me a Story – Read To Me PSA and video on reading aloud
Suggested Reading Resources
Resources for Parents, Educators, and Service Providers
Listed below are books you may find useful in understanding more about how children become readers and other literacy-related and read-aloud information.
- Becoming a Nation of Readers: The Report of the Commission on Reading.
- Put Reading First: The Research Building Blocks for Teaching Children to Read, Kindergarten Through Grade 3.
- Beginning Literacy with Language: Young Children at Home and School.
- Radical Reflections: Passionate Opinions on Teaching, Learning and Living.
- Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever.
- 99 Ways to get Kids to Love Reading and 100 Books They’ll Love.
- The Latest and Greatest Read-Alouds.
- Teaching Children to Read: An Evidence-Based Assessment of the Scientific Research Literature on Reading and Its Implications for Reading Instruction.
- Starting Out Right: A Guide to Promoting Children’s Reading Success.
- Start Smart! Building Brain Power in the Early Years.
- Preventing Reading Difficulties in Young Children.
- The Read-Aloud Handbook.
- Hey, Listen to This! Stories to Read Aloud.
- Read All About It! Great Stories, Poems and Newspaper Pieces for Reading Aloud.
- Everyone’s Guide to Children’s Literature.