Cloudy with Rain
Suggested Age: Toddlers and Preschoolers
Submitted by Alice Fujiwara, State Librarian, Aina Haina Public Library
Books to share:
- Little Cloud by Eric Carle
- The Rainy Day by Anna Milbourne
- Cloudette by Tom Lichtenfeld
- Cloudland by John Burningham
- The Thingamabob by Il Sung Na
We see them in the sky every day. Where are they going and where do they come from? Sometimes they race across the sky, and sometimes they creep like turtles. Clouds can be big, soft, white and fluffy-looking, but watch out when you see the ones that are dark and gray!
Topics to discuss: The water cycle, names of clouds, what to do when it rains, etc.
Activity: “Cloudy with Rain” Mobile
- A cloud shape
- A hole punch
- Small paper heart shapes
- White thread or icicles
- Color the cloud and punch holes in the cloud shape, fold the hearts in half and glue the hearts to the thread or icicles.
- Attach the thread or icicles through the holes at the bottom of the cloud. Attach the ribbon to the top of the cloud for the child to carry.