Suggested Age: Toddler-Grade 1
Submitted by Sri TenCate, State Librarian, Molokai Public Library
Books: I Love My Daddy Because… by Laurel Porter-Gaylord
My Dad is Fantastic by Sarah Vonthron-Laver
The Molokai Public Library holds a monthly “READ TO ME Family Night.” We start the program with the introductory song, “If You’re Happy and You Know It,” and sing songs related to the monthly theme. One of our regular volunteers is a musician who plays her Vietnamese bamboo instrument and accompanies the singers, which include parents, volunteers, children, and staff. At times, her husband comes with a guitar and forms a “band.” Then we share theme-related books to read aloud. The read-aloud is followed by craft activities with supplies provided. After the completion of the activities, every child chooses a new book to keep.
Suggested Activity: Mini Book (Father’s Day theme)
- 2-3 sheets of 8 1/2″ x 11″ lined or unlined paper
- One 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ sheet of colored construction paper ( 1/2 of 8 1/2″ x 11″ sheet)
- Hole punch
- 16″ Yarn or ribbon
- Cut the lined or unlined paper in half so each piece measures 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″.
- Fold all the sheets of paper in half so the book measures 5 1/2″ x 4 1/4″.
- Fold the construction paper in half and lay at the bottom of the lined or unlined papers so the construction paper becomes the cover of the mini book.
- Punch two holes as shown in the illustration.
- Thread yarn or ribbon through the holes and tie into a bow.