First the Egg
Suggested Age: 2-6 Years Old
Submitted by Joyce Garrigus, Retired Librarian, Hawaiian Mission Academy
Book: First the Egg by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
The sturdy pages transform a chick that appears from an egg and becomes a chicken. The delightful book allows the die-cuts to reveal cunning surprises with each turn of the page. The craft is cutting out an egg and having a chick coming out of the egg.
Activity: A Hatched Chick
- White paper
- Orange paper
- Green paper
- Yellow paper
- Glue stick
- Black marker or two plastic eyes
- Download Egg/Chick Template
Crafting the egg:
- Fold a sheet of white paper and draw half an oval with a pencil.
- Cut out the oval.
- Draw a jagged lined down the center of the oval with a pencil.
- Cut along the jagged line.
Crafting the chick:
- Cut a small oval from the yellow paper for the chick’s head.
- Cut a larger oval from the yellow paper for the chick’s body.
- Cut a beak and two legs from the orange paper.
Assembling the chick:
- Glue the egg and chick pieces onto the green paper.
- Either draw eyes on the chick’s head with a black marker or glue googly eyes onto the chick’s head.