The Giving Tree
Suggested Age: 5-7 Years Old
Submitted by Joyce Garrigus, Retired Librarian, Hawaiian Mission Academy
Book: The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
The book follows the life of an apple tree and a boy who are able to talk with each other. In his childhood, the boy enjoys playing with the tree, climbing its trunk, swinging from its branches, and eating its apples. However, as time passes and he grows older, he starts to make requests of the tree. The tree gives the boy everything he needs even when he grows into an old man.
- Brown construction paper
- Green construction paper
- Red tissue paper cut to 1 1/2″ x 3″, 1 1/2″ x 4″, and/or 1 1/2″ x 5″ strips
- Glue stick
- Cut a trunk out of the brown construction paper.
- Cut the top of the tree out of green construction paper.
- Ball up pieces of red tissue paper to make the apples.
- Glue the top of the tree to the trunk.
- Glue the apples to the top of the tree.