What Hatches From Eggs
Suggested Age: Toddlers, Preschoolers, Early Elementary Students
Submitted by Brenda Freitas-Obregon, State Librarian, Kalihi-Palama Public Library
Books: Various Books on “What Hatches From Eggs?”
Ollie by Olivier Dunrea
Ollie is in an egg, and he does not want to hatch.
Small Green Snake by Libba Moore Gray
His mother’s warnings not to wander does not stop a sassy snake from wiggling away.
Lizard’s Home by George Shannon
Snake is sleeping on Lizard’s rock, and Lizard wants his home back.
What’s in the Egg, Little Pip? By Karma Wilson
A little penguin wonders about the Egg that will hatch into a baby brother or sister.
We know birds of all kinds, from tiny hummingbirds to tall ostriches, hatch from eggs of all sizes. But what other animals hatch from eggs? Dragons? Snakes? Fishes? Frogs?
Activity: An egg carton book
Make an egg carton book with animal pictures from magazines and your own drawings, and you can be a bookmaker, author and illustrator!
- An 18-egg egg carton
- 5 sheets of 8 1/2×11 paper in one color or an assortment of colors
- Single hole punch
- One yard of yarn or string
- Discarded magazines that may be cut
- Glue or glue stick
- Pencil, crayons and/or markers.
- Stack five sheets of paper then fold paper in half lengthwise. Punch one hole at the top center and one hole at the bottom center on the fold of the papers.
- Draw, write, and cut out animal pictures from magazines to glue onto the papers.
- Punch 1 hole in the egg carton at each end of the carton along the hinge of the top and bottom of the carton. Thread yarn through the holes in stacked pages and the carton; make a knot on the outside of the carton.
Who made this book? Don’t forget to write your name as the author and illustrator of your egg carton book!