Posted on Dec 2, 2014 | Resources
Planting a Rainbow
Suggested Age: Grades K-2
Submitted by Imelda Corpuz-Amano, School Librarian, Manoa Elementary School
Book: Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert
- Copy of the book, Planting a Rainbow
- Collage of a sun
- Chat with your child(ren) about the word, collage. Tell them that the word means cut and paste. (There is no tracing or drawing with a pencil or marker.)
- Show an example by cutting a yellow circle and some yellow strips; glue them onto paper to create the sun.
- Read, Planting a Rainbow. Chat about how each picture is a collage, not a drawing and about gardens or plants in general).
Activity: Make a Collage
- Colored tissue paper
- Have child(ren) think of a vegetable or flower; they must be able to picture it in their minds.
- Make a simple garden collage with your child. (They can write about it too.)
- As your child gets better with collage, have your child make larger, more elaborate collages.