Ten Little Fish
Submitted by Lori Tonaki, School Librarian, Moanalua Elementary
Book: Ten Little Fish by Audrey Wood
Activity: Fish Counting Game
Follow ten little fish as they swim along a beautiful ocean reef, one by one departing from the school for different reasons, eventually leaving one fellow all alone. What will he do? Along comes another, and that makes two! Soon he becomes a father and she becomes a mother–with ten little children of their own.
- Paper plates
- Rainbow Goldfish crackers
- Pre-count or place a small handful of colored Goldfish crackers onto a plate. Child/children will place each Goldfish in the row that corresponds with the color of the goldfish on the chart.
- Graph and chart all the goldfish.
- Total the number of each color.
- Look and compare the fish on the chart. Questions to ask the child:
- How many red goldfish did we have all together?
- How many orange goldfish did we have all together?
- How many yellow goldfish did we have all together?
- How many green goldfish did we have all together?
- Which color goldfish did we have the greatest number of?
- Which color goldfish did we have the least of?
- Were there any goldfish that we had equal amounts of? What colors were they?
- Children can eat the Goldfish as a snack after the activity is done.