Suggested Age: 4-6 Years Old
Submitted by Joyce Garrigus, Retired Librarian, Hawaiian Mission Academy
Turtle Splash by Cathryn Falwell
This lovely countdown features Eastern Painted Turtles and various insects, birds, and mammals sharing a pond habitat. As each new creature appears on the scene, one more turtle jumps off the log and into the water. Eventually, the blue sky of day gives way to rose and purple shades and all 10 tired turtles are underwater to “settle for the night.” The familiar counting scheme plays out in beautifully constructed collage scenes.
- Green construction paper
- Orange marker
- Light green paper
- Black marker
- Glue stick
- Cut a large oval out of the green construction paper.
- Cut the turtle’s head, legs, and tail out of the light green paper.
- Use the black and orange markers to draw a design on the turtle’s shell.
- Assemble the turtle using a glue stick.
- Either draw eyes on the turtle’s head or use plastic eyes.