Suggested Age: Toddler-Grade 1
Submitted by Sri Ten Cate, State Librarian, Molokai Public Library
The Molokai Public Library holds a monthly “READ TO ME Family Night.” We start the program with the introductory song, “If You’re Happy and You Know It,” and sing songs related to the monthly theme. One of our regular volunteers is a musician who plays her Vietnamese bamboo instrument and accompanies the singers, which include parents, volunteers, children, and staff. At times, her husband comes with a guitar and forms a “band.” Then we share theme-related books to read aloud. The read-aloud is followed by craft activities with supplies provided. After the completion of the activities, every child chooses a new book to keep.
Activity: Valentine Bookmark
- Colored Index-weight paper or construction paper
- Markers, pens, stickers
- Paints, doilies, glitter, and other decorative items
- Cut the paper into 2” x 6”-8” bookmarks.
- Cut out a heart.
- Write “Love Me Read To Me” in the heart.
- Paste the heart onto the bookmark.
- Children may also decorate the bookmarks with markers, colors, doilies, glitter, etc.